Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My hostfamily...

Before arriving in Vancouver, I planned to spend three months in a homestay. It is generally a very good experience, because you can practice the language a lot, know some new culture and make good friends. Unfortunately, it was not a good thing for me. They were so terrible that I decided to look for a better place to live a lot of time before my plans. I left the house two weeks after I arrived when I had just found an apartment to rent.

In the house there were three cats and a big dog. I love animals, but they didn't take care of them. The animals used to go into my bedroom and leave a lot of hair inside it. The problem was that I am alergic. They were always going into the kitchen even if we were having dinner. I also used to find their hair in my food. In my opinion, it is not hygienic. In addition, my hostmother and her daughter kept on forgetting my name and they were not chatty and lively, so I did not have the opportunity to spend some good time with them. They kept themselves to themselves. They used to do nothing during the day except lounge around by the sofa. Apart from that, my hostmother was always turning on the heat even if it was hot. It was a really big problem, because the tubes of the heat were on my bedroom, so it used to get very hot. They were also unpredictable, they were always changing their mood for no apparent reason.

In my point of view this explains why i did not like my hostfamily. I am not prepared to put up with that kind of people and situations!

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

As usual, this is very well-written Marcella. You did an excellent job or incorporating everything we learned this week and using vocabulary from the phrase builder. I'm so sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience with your first homestay family. Are you enjoying living on your own?